Thursday, December 6, 2012

Chai Tea Shortbread ~


My taste buds tend to be synchronized with the seasons, for as soon as the mornings are nipped with a chill, I crave a warm cup of chai tea made frothy with almond milk. But who says the flavor of this incredible spicy goodness needs to be enjoyed in liquid form only? These delicious chai tea shortbread cookies might just become the perfect tasty accoutrement to your steaming cup of tea...the little bits of tea leaves are my favorite part of each bite. 


Chai Tea Shortbread
yields ~3 dozen

1 1/2 cups of spelt flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon of ground cloves  
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tea bag {contents emptied} of Darjeeling Tea 
 3/4 cup powdered sugar
10 tablespoons of softened unsalted butter
1 Tablespoon ice water  

In a bowl, combine flour and next 7 ingredients, stir and mix well. Place sugar and butter in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating at slow speed until just combined {mixture will appear crumbly}. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of ice water onto the dough, combine water and dough together with a fork. Divide dough in half, shape into 2 logs; wrap in parchment or wax paper and chill in refrigerator for one hour.

Preheat over to 375 degrees. Unwrap dough logs and cut into 18 slices using a serrated knife. Place shortbread circles at least 2 inches apart on baking sheets.  Bake for 10 minutes or until slightly golden. Allow cookies to cool on pans for 5 minutes before removing and indulging!



[Styling and Photography by Reverie-Daydream]

14 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious!
    And I've never tried almond milk in my tea just half and half. I'm going to try that too!
    Thank you for these wonderful ideas.

    Speaking of the delights of tea, one of these days when I have time to play around with macarons again, I hope to add ground of pearl Jasmine tea in the batter for the macaron shells.

    I hope all is well with your family. I'm sure the Crumb is really looking forward to Christmas.

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one will go into the recipe section + I will try it. Thanks xxpeggybraswelldesign.ocm

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always drink black tea with milk and sugar, but since I've discovered milk makes my stomach hurt and am trying to lessen my sugar intake, I've been forgoing it.

    And now, I can have my favorite drink back :) Just tried earl grey with almond milk and it is perfect.

    These cookies will be next.

    Thanks for sharing, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That must taste absolutely delicious! I love chai tea so oooo I have to try this out! =)

    Ergo - Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. finally purchased spelt flour and i cannot wait to make these. now if i could just get estelle's chai tea recipe, then i'd really be SET. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made these - they are wonderful -and I also made the lavender and rosemary cookies like this.
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  7. this sounds so good - looking forward to trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This just looks amazing - will most certainly be trying this one out

    ReplyDelete
  9. This kind of food is, I think and believe, the best one for me. What I have known about tea is that it is healthy for easy digestion. I love tea and I would probably love your recipe as well. Although I don’t usually eat bread, I will still try it.

    Please visit My Webblog

    ReplyDelete

Share your dreamy thoughts with me.....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails