Monday, December 19, 2011

Good Luck Soup ~

 

Being able to make a gift with my own hands, using resources offered unselfishly by nature or repurposed materials, and presenting something that is useful or full of meaning to my dearest friends and family is what Christmas is all about ~ the gift that is filled with love.  So this year, my dear friend, Sherry of Culinary Getaways, and I decided that her Good Luck Soup recipe packaged up with delicious heirloom beans and fresh garden grown herbs would be the ideal gift for anyone on our list.  Growing up in the South, my grandmother always prepared a New Year’s Day lunch or dinner that included black-eyed peas {and collard greens}.  According to her, black-eyed peas were for good-luck.  Even then, as a young girl, I would eat at least two helpings of these delicious legumes because everyone hopes for the lucky goodness to be on their side 365 days of the year.  More so than ever, I believe we all could use a hefty dose of good luck in our lives!


[Reverie-Daydream Images]

11 comments:

  1. I loved this Melissa... I have put it on 'My Daily Click' today... and I agree we all need a dose of good luck... xv

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make black eyed peas and we eat them on New Years day.
    I feel incredibly lucky to make them and to share them with whoever will eat them!
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely tradition Mel...........love this idea! A gift of hearty goodness. XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds so delicious and I love the idea of eating (or drinking) something for good luck on New Year's Day. Sounds like a lovely tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is simply a gift that just keeps giving!! My gifts this year are homemade and from the heart too. Hugs Mel!! Happy Holidays!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one beautiful gift. I made some rubbing herbs in little metal tins for my friends, from my kitchen to theirs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. sooo glad I found your blog. Us southern girls, we do like our New Years blackeyed peas + getting the dime was always a treat. One year I got the dime, Mother then put it on my charm bracelet! xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely gift straight to the heart that one!! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Being a Southener, have eaten from many a pot of black-eyed peas; add some collards and cornbread, maybe some ham and we had a gourmet feast!
    One year I gave New Year's gifts of dried black-eyed peas tied into a small cloth bundle and nestled in the scoop part of a sturdy soup ladle (found at Dollar store) - attached a decorative New Years greeting tag. Unique and useful. J. Beatty Houston Tx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for your kind words on my blog and yes, Southern Traditions are GREAT. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Melissa, this is absolutely beautiful! There's nothing like giving the gift of a full tummy and extra luck. The Kollar chocolates made my birthday, by the way -- I nibbled on them as I drove north.

    ReplyDelete

Share your dreamy thoughts with me.....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails