Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Wishful Thinking {a guest post by French Essence}



I have always had my head in the clouds… dreaming of something different… wishing upon a star… searching for ways to turn the ordinary into the extraordinary… I think that is why I love words as much as I do… the endless possibilities to stir the imagination and to craft fantasy from the everyday… This is the time of year when we are all wishful thinking. We wish that the holiday season would slow down, that we could gear up our pace a little to accomplish all that we desire. We wish that the year hadn’t passed in a puff and that they weren’t slipping by quite so quickly and we wish, with all our hearts, that our children’s hopes and dreams come true.

When I snapped this photograph in Paris it made me pause for reflection… The beauty of the cobblestones, the architectural details of the buildings, the faded shutters and the hanging lanterns caught my eye… I had to capture that moment. But more than that… It was the family, for I imagined that they were a family, walking in step, in simpatico… with their perfect strides. This image made me wish that time could and would stand still, that this beautiful family could forever walk together through the streets of life harmoniously, as they were on this particular day… My thoughts turned to my own family and myself and I realized there and then that my one true wish was for nothing to change. This moment in our time together is good… great even… may it last…

Melissa, thank you for inviting me to participate in your ‘Wishful Thinking’ series… it is such a great pleasure to be a part of your exquisite blog amongst such wonderful company. I wish you and your readers a holiday season filled with lots of love, light and laughter… xv
 
Vicki Archer
December 2011

I'm assuming most who read this blog already know the beautiful and lovely Vicki of French Essence.  Before I even entered the world of blogging, I knew of Vicki Archer and her exquisite way of life and love for France via her first book, My French Life.   Then I found her blog and my heart swelled with glee because I am able to live vicariously through her dreamy world every. single. day. In short, Vicki is definitely one of my heroes, for she lives the life she has always dreamed of and she lives it with grace, beauty, and enthusiasm. I'm still pinching myself that she took the time to share her wishful thoughts on Reverie...merci beaucoup Vicki! 


[Image via Vicki Archer] 

18 comments:

  1. What a wonderful wish to capture time.
    Love French Essence.
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean Vicki. I look back at vintage pictures of family past and think 'if only' ... they were so vibrant and having such fun in that moment in time.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet post. So true.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this post right after sending the kids off to school. The lists of things to do were already formulating in my head, I just hadn't put them down on paper yet. They're going to be numerous, it is that time of year after all, but now I feel differently, slightly shifted. Thanks Vicki! I'm going to pour my second cup of coffee and enjoy my tree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If Vicki says you have a gorgeous blog... it's worth a trip over here! She's right of course. I love what she said about Paris. Paris is the object of my affection and wistful thinking as well. I never tire of her or of photographing her. Le sigh...........
    All the best,
    V

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seeing as I adore you both...
    I am with Vicki- some days I wish time would stand still, as I am acutely aware of how quickly it actually passes, taking with it those moments when my boys are young and with me. Before I know it, they will head out into the world and I will be left with only memories of these precious times.
    Happy Holidays to you both,
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful post and wonderful wish.. Vicki has such a beautiful family I totally understand why she wouldn't want things to change. So lucky.. Carla xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful words! The picture encompasses my memories of France and Paris. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Had to take a peak at your blog. VA is just too chic for words. Love what I see on your blog. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just taking in the photo...I thought it was a family, too, enjoying the fresh air and surroundings and probably the smell of coffee and croissants baking! Lovely moment.
    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous sentiments Vicki. However for me the thought of time standing still sends me into a catatonic state, 'cos that would mean that this flippin renovation would NEVER be finished! Off to up- date MOTH's ever lengthening list of jobs to to over the Chrissie break.
    Millie xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Firstly thank you for introducing me to such a beautiful new blog. It is tempting to want to hold the moment, to think it perfect yet always another comes along...at Christmas time I do reflect how my life would have been if my Dad hadn't died just before Christmas when I was four. It's impossible to hold the moments in life but lovely to wish they stay.
    ciao lisa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely sentiments. So few people appreciate the now. And love the photo. Merry Christmas to all!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Here's to Vicki for demonstrating to all of us that living in a foreign country as lovely as France is never too far from reach...I'm still wishing on that star...

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is probably the best thing to wish for truly! Love Vicki!
    xo Trina

    ReplyDelete

Share your dreamy thoughts with me.....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails